Saturday, December 5, 2015

Yoga?

A couple of weeks ago, I made a step towards one of the items on my list:

Go to a yoga class alone

It can't yet get crossed off my list, because I wasn't alone. BUT the first step towards going alone is going in the first place. So the other day, I went to my first yoga class ever with my friend Daniele. Right now she's probably reading, thinking, "Yay! My first shout-out on the new blog!" But she really does deserve a shout-out, because I have wanted to do yoga for YEARS. I just never did. For whatever reason, I'm just not the kind of person that can buy a yoga DVD and sit in my living room to put it into practice. I thought maybe I was. And I had good intentions. But it never came to fruition.

Not that doing yoga is scary. It's just always been out of my comfort zone, I suppose.

It always sounded good in theory. It always seemed appealing. I liked the idea of it. But once I realized that I wasn't the type of woman who would do it in the comfort of my own home, I had to add it to The List...because somehow, what stopped me from going to a yoga class by myself was fear.

Exercise-wise, I run. Because running is a solitary sport. I don't like organized fitness, because I feel uncoordinated. I feel on the spot. I feel not good enough. I never feel at ease. And so, I don't enjoy myself. All because of fear. Fear of what? I'm not entirely certain. Fear of looking stupid? Fear of being alone in a room of strangers? Fear of doing it wrong? Fear of feeling uncomfortable and not being able to leave? I'm not sure. But I always felt awkward about it.

So when Daniele, a yoga newbie who enjoys it, suggested a yoga date, I was eager to go. But still kind of scared.

I write about fear a lot on this blog...and it's not always the kind of fear that's associated with jumping out of a plane...or the kind of fear that involves a spider dangling in front of my face. Sometimes it's just comfort-zone-y kind of fear. And that's real too. Going to a yoga class alone had to go on The List, because I want to do it...but the only thing holding me back (as with all the other things on The List) is...me.


So I went to my first yoga class with Daniele. And it was...fun. It was therapeutic. It was relaxing. And it was (surprisingly) a great workout. I laughed at myself a little bit. I was uncomfortable at points. But it was a really, really great experience. And since I was able to do that, I'm one step closer to attending a yoga class alone...and therefore, one step closer to crossing yet another item off The List.

2 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to this!!! Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate, but once you get into it, it's super fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?